OptionKey madness

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Mon Mar 22 14:15:56 EST 2004

On Monday, March 22, 2004, at 05:00  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> From: Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com>
> Subject: Re: OptionKey madness
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> On 3/22/04 6:58 AM, "Frank Leahy" <frank at backtalk.com> wrote:
>
>> This works as expected on my machine (Mac OSX, 10.2.8) -- all keycodes
>> come through and the optionKey is correct when up and down.
>>
>> on rawKeyDown whichKey
>>  put "raw key " & whichKey && the optionKey
>>  pass rawKeyDown -- same with or without this
>> end rawKeyDown
>

> Did you try typing the keystrokes into a field?

Nope, doesn't work in a field.

Having worked at Apple, the feeling was that the command key and
function keys are for user input (menus, and user or app choosable
functions respectively).  And there's the question of what happens if
someone wants to type a bullet character into the field with option-8,
is Richard not going to let the bullet character appear in the field?

There is a way around this bug of course -- Richard can simply watch
every character being added to the field, and if the last character
matches one of the optionKey characters, then do whatever he was going
to do in the rawKeyDown handler.

-- Frank