Twostep compiler?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Mar 21 12:46:25 EST 2004

On Mar 21, 2004, at 12:32 PM, A.C.T. wrote:

> Again: Please excuse my potentially "offending" questions. I am trying
> to understand the technical implications of using Revolution and to
> find out why some issues seem ... somewhat "complicated", where they
> do not have to be complicated :-)

Marc,

I might be steping on eggs here but I think the code is there in plain
text for a simple reason, our apps can introspect and change their own
code, or better, change other apps code. If the code was stored like
bytecodes, we would need a decompilation/translation back into human
readable code, and that would be anoying from the point of view of
performance. This way, you can build your own "generators" and
"pre-processors" tools, and I am not only talking about pretty-print
tools, but real usefull tools, for example I am working with an concept
I call "blessed client", for with my revHTTPd plataform, a user can
easily execute code remotelly thus for increasing security  I will
inspect a newly-uploaded/created stack and checked if it is "blessed"
then I'll allow it to run or not. This is only possible because I can
look into the stack code and search for desired fingerprints that will
certify that the stack is safe. Checking bytecode is hard, cannot use
RegEx on them... :D

Also if this is a Issue, I think in the distributuion builder there's
an option called "Encrypt with password" that will encrypt your stack
using a nice routine, that will render all code, better, all strings
encrypted and only with the password you'll be able to decrypt it.
(encrypted stacks are no way blessed! :D )

I might be wrong, but since you're keen on experimentation please try
encrypting your stack using the distribution builder and use your
favorite text/hex editor in it.

Cheers
Andre

--