Mac OS < X builder in Studio Version

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Sun Mar 21 10:08:58 EST 2004

Hi,

I can remember having read something about the (missing) Mac OS<X
builder in the studio version (for Windows, Linux etc).

Somehow I have problems following the logic of Mac OS<X being a
"different system" and therefor the Mac OS<X builder not being included:
The "standalone" building technique used in Revolution seems to consist
of including a full interpreter for Transcript, a setup for the GUI
(which, most likely, is some kind of XML or binary encoded data chunk)
and the original script. So all one actually needs to build a
"standalone" is the interpreter for the desired target platform (if I am
wrong here, please correct me).
Now to build a Mac OS <X "standalone" version you would only need a
"basic" stack that reads in the GUI layout and the Transcript code for
your application. Even if this would mean having a two-file-standalone
(the basic application that would be used for EVERY Mac OS<X standalone
and the code for a specific application) a Mac OS<X builder should be a
very easy task to create (again: correct me if I am wrong, please).
If you know what chunk inside the "all-in-one-file" would contain the
GUI layout and the code you could even write out the binary file of the
application as ONE file (not seperated in the "runner" app and the
code). If you could create the code in a way that it contains the GUI
layout (which most likely should be possible) you don't even have to
reverse-engineer the GUI data.

As for Mac OS < X needing "resource forks": That's a standard task to
solve since Apple released all relevant information about how to encode
a "MAC BINARY" data stream that includes data-fork and resource-fork. So
even a Windows program easily can create a fully resource-fork-embedded
Mac OS<X file.

So my question into the void is: Is there a Revolution stack already
available to build Mac OS < X applications from a stack, using
Revlution-Studio or do I have to create that myself? ;-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / Level-2
Glinder Str. 2