OptionKey madness

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 20 14:56:26 EST 2004

Ken Ray wrote:

>>Okay, the numeric function keys are unusable to an app
>>because most OSes reserve some of them, and numeric
>>Option/Alt keys are out because Apple reserves some of them.
>>
>>So I'm limited to command keys for triggering actions in text fields?
>>Major drag.
>
> You can check the keysDown(), which should include a list of all the keys
> typed (see Dar's comment on the Improve list on rawKeyDown).
>
> However there are definitely two bugs that RunRev needs to fix to get this
> right - one that appeared in the 2.5.1 engine, and the other that's been
> there for a while:
>
> The first is the option-key combination reported in bug 1147 (by me) - this
> was fine in 2.5, but died in 2.5.1.
>
> The second is the fact that Dar noticed that control+char is being reported
> as if the shift key was down, so while "a" is 97 and "shift-a" is 65,
> "control-a" is 65 + the control-key code of 65507. This is a bug that needs
> to be fixed.

If we throw a lot of votes at these can we get them in v2.2?

Responding to the keyboard is a critical thing that should be affecting
nearly every app, since the federal accessibility guidelines and the Win
HIG both require keyboard access to every program function.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation