Linux Builder problem: Wrong stdc++ libs linked

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Sat Mar 20 06:20:23 EST 2004

Hi,

I am "puzzling" around with the build engines and run into some problems:
The linux "standalone" is not a standalone but requires various shared
libraries. Unfortunately the application builder inside Revolution does
not allow me to choose what stdc++ I am using on my Linux installation
(there are at least three flavours available), which leads to the
application that is built not being executable. A "normal" customer
running only his KDE desktop will not even get an error message if he
starts the application, as the "cannot find libstdc++.so.5" is only
displayed on a shell.
Is there a "full" Linux builder available (I am usually working in
Windows) or do I have to create an installation instruction for
customers which shared libraries have to be present etc? (This way I
could not use Revolution for Linux at all, since those customers of mine
that _do_ run Linux are desktop-only users and cannot deal with
softlinking lib versions)
Unfortunately the "documentation" inside Revolution is broken: Clicking
on the requirements for Linux you get a non-reaction (Windows, MacOS
etc. are all filled with content, Linux is not).

My second problem is "Application size": Why is a simple "hello world"
program about 1.6MB in size? Ok, the answer is simple: The complete
interpreter is included in the standalone - and therefor the app's size
won't change that much if you put a lot more functionality in it besides
"hello world". I just wanted to point this out :-)

My third problem is: The complete script is included in plain text
inside the application. That's a "no-go" for me. I do support Open
Source (financially and by participating in projects), but I want to
decide for myself what apps are "open source" and which are not.
Is there are a way to hinder the customer from peeking into the code -
and, even more important, to avoid him easily seeing that he is dealing
with an Interpreter and a script inside? Please don't get me wrong on
this, I am not going to "abuse" Revolution and I am not "ashamed" to use
such tools (if I was I wouldn't have bought it), I simply want to
protect my IP.

Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / level-2
Glinder Str. 2