OT two+ buck a gallon gas AAARRRGGGGHHH

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 16:56:47 EST 2004

Geoff Canyon suggested that :

>Anyone who's overly concerned should check out "The Skeptical
>Environmentalist," which surveys the environmental situation and points
>out that we're often not as bad off as we think we are:

I'm afraid I can't let it go by without comment. That book and its
author has been widely discredited by real environmental scientists.
Businesses, governments (US and the current conservative Australian)
and many ordinary people like the book because it says "Don't worry,
it will all be OK in the end". But it is misinformation put together
in a way that might be most politely described as damaging
distortions.

There are a great many resources available for anyone interested to
find the truth or otherwise of the assertions in the book, but I
think this article (a transcript of the Australian ABC radio program
The Science Show) is an excellent start because it contains the views
of both Bjorn Lomberg, the book's author, and Dr Peter Raven,
President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
<http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/stories/s495345.htm>

Regards
--
Michael J. Lew