OT two+ buck a gallon gas AAARRRGGGGHHH

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 09:08:43 EST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:14:30 +0000, Frank Leahy <frank at backtalk.com> wrote:

>We moved to England from San Francisco last September and bought a Ford
>Galaxy, 7 seat mini-van, diesel, that gets 45 miles to the gallon, and
>can cruise all day at 110 mph (I've driven 100+mph from Cornwall to
>London several times -- try that in California without spending all day
>looking in your rear view mirror).  (And why is it that the same car
>gets under 20 miles per gallon in the States?)
>
>But we're not complaining about the price of gas.  Why?  Because we get
>free health care for the extra we pay at the pump! (see
>http://cornwall.backtalk.com/archives/000056.html)

Well Frank, all I can say is that you SHOULD have been looking in your rear
view mirror, because the maximum speed limit throughout the United Kingdom
is 70 miles per hour! The bit about health care is true, certainly. Glad
you like it here (I'm in the UK today).

BTW (and even more OT) I believe the Isle of Man has no speed limits at all
- but then I'm not sure if it's strictly a member of the UK.

Graham