Database Experience

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 17 16:33:55 EST 2004

>...what about FileMaker Pro? Especially the new version 7?

FMPO v7.0 is indeed a great upgrade, and while I'll continue to use it
internally I still can't use it for client projects.

When I get a new project for which a database would be the solution, I
inclue FMP in an evaluation matrix and inevitably it gets knocked out of
the running early on for it's minimal UI control.  Only one menu can be
modified, scripts are tiggered by very few events, and it has little if
any support for native controls.

I get much more mileage out of Rev for the UI, using any of the database
interfaces provided.  And more often than not I'm working with data sets
small enough that just stashing data in custom property arrays works
great and keeps everything in native Transcript.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation