External to add accounts to AppleMail

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Mar 16 01:20:43 EST 2004

On Mar 15, 2004, at 11:28 PM, RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

> If anyone's interested, I need to hire someone to write an external
> for me
> for a project I'm working on for an ISP.  I basically need an external
> that  I
> can use in Revolution on the Mac that will permit me to:
> 1)  Check and see if an email account is already present within Apple
> "Mail"
> application.

Hi Rob,

While I know nothing about creating external, I made a silly stack to
cover issue one of you problem. It took me 15 minutes. As I thought,
Apple Mail Accounts are just folders inside ~/Library/Mail

so by checking against it you might know if an account is present or
not. There's a simple rule for generating the folder name, it's the
protocol used (iTools: or POP-) and the username of the account, like,
my email is soapdog at mac.com, my usernamet for the IMAP account is
soapdog at mail.mac.com (yes, tricky), so I must check for
iTools:soapdog at mail.mac.com folder inside Mail folder inside the
library folder... the same goes for POP... it would be something like
POP-meself at pop.myISP.com

I made a simple stack and uploaded it to my server, you might catch it
by going to http://public.soapdog.org and fetching mailcheck.rev.zip

I know that this does not solve your problem, but it's a start... You
may use this as you wish for I'll not charge for a quick hack made in
15 minutes. But if you want to donate for the revHTTPd project
(http://home.soapdog.org:8081/), you may send money to my PayPal
account at agarzia at mac.com

I don't know what happens if you just create a folder inside the Mail
folder, if mail will read it and add it to it's accounts, but I can be
hired to discover and break my mail.app while doing it. =)

Cheers
Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia - Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL
http://studios.soapdog.org