OT Some Run Rev simulations

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Mon Mar 15 12:27:57 EST 2004

Greetings all,

I have posted a Run Rev stack on my web site. The eventual
stand-alone will be offered (gratis) on the Web as a complement to a
book of mine which will be published shortly. Some of this may not
make much sense without the book, but some is relatively intuitive.

There are five interactive applications:

1) The law of large numbers (actually a variant thereof) demonstrates
the fact that for systems with a large number of components, there is
one macrostate which is overwhelmingly more probable than any other
at the given energy, volume and particle numbers.

2) This  a simple experiment to demonstrate Newton's thinking in
linking the motion of a projectile here on earth to the motion of the
moon about the earth and the planets about the sun. (I am working on
a version of this which allows for various power laws, not just the
inverse square.)

3) Temperature is defined as the reciprocal of the slope of the
entropy vs. energy curve. This application shows that that is not as
ridiculous a definition as it sounds.

4) Time asymmetry paradox: This application demonstrates how a
system, composed of elementary particles that behave symmetrically in
time, will behave asymmetrically in time.

5) A rainbow paradox: Red light shinning on a raindrop is reflected
as a cone of light. How do these conical beams produce the red bow in
the rainbow? And why are the colors of the red, orange, green and
blue cones separated to produce the colors of the rainbow?

My apologies to anyone who looks to the scripting for enlightenment.
I am strictly an instant-gratification-programmer.

There are two files: TimeMac.zip and TimePC.zip, which are the Mac
and PC versions respectively. They are to be found at
http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/ They are relatively large
files, about 3 megs each.

Jim