Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Sun Mar 14 17:53:30 EST 2004

> I agree with you about RunRev's support and also cringe about jumping
> in but I think the second comment deserves response because I think
> this is somewhat behind some of the carping:
>
> You may wish they were more bug free but in fact developer products
> are more complicated and function at lower levels than user software
> and as a consequence have, in my 30 years of using such software,
> consistently been MORE buggy, not less than consumer products.  There
> is no way for Revolution to ever even approach being bug free and it
> is unrealistic for anyone hear to think there is an obligation by
> RunRev to make bug fixes available forever for free just because there
> are bugs.

I think I should clarify, because you make a very good point. What I
meant to express is that developer tools need bug fixes to be even more
_important_, not that they realistically end up with a smaller actual
number of bugs.

I don't think anyone is suggesting forever support. We're talking about
fixing 2.1 just a little more despite the oncoming release of 2.2,
right? 2.1 has not reached maturity with regards to bug fixes, and I
think more than a few are just scared that it never will and that this
will be a repeating pattern.

If we're talking bottom line, I hate to put it this way... but I've
been using xTalks for 10+ years and bought every single release of
Hypercard, Supercard and Metacard/Rev along the way- every single
one... except for Rev 2.1. I'm on the fence for 2.2. New features are
buggy, and bugs are outstanding on old features.

Rev is still a very solid product (if you want to know how I really
feel about it, just consider that I spend a lot of time on these lists
even though I haven't done any commercial Rev work in more than 6
months). But some of us are scared that it's slipping.

Like I said before, I'm going to look at 2.2 and 2.3 with an open mind,
and let RunRev's work speak for itself. But I think the concern is very
valid- none of the principles of business or comparisons to other tools
or anything else in this thread sways me from the reality that in
day-to-day use, Rev is less reliable than I want it to be today.

FWIW.

- Brian