Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Sat Mar 13 11:25:10 EST 2004

Hi,

> I have been wondering about this as well, having just gotten a studio
> license with 2.12 and finding out that the majority of the bug database
> is scheduled two updates away and only being entitled to one.

Of course this was an issue for me as well before I decided to support
the company by paying the studio license fee. But in fact the policy
says "you are entitled to ONE free upgrade" - it does NOT SAY "you are
entitled to ONE DIRECTLY FOLLOWING upgrade". So I just shrugged and told
myself: Ok, I just get that upgrade for free that I want - I could wait
until V3.0 and get that for free, since I have ONE UPGRADE FREE.

Of course (being a full time software developer myself) I expect bug
fixes to be free of charge anyhow. There is a clear difference between
"updates" (bug fixes) and "upgrades" (as mentioned in the license), the
later being major feature enhancements.

So I am very sure that Runrev will behave like most software companies
(the so called evil ones included) and hand out bugfixes free of charge.
No computer software is "free of bugs" and as a customer AND developer I
am absolutely sure that Runrev will not be any different to most serious
companies: Updates are free for registered users, upgrades aren't.

Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / level-2
Glinder Str. 2
27432 Ebersdorf