How to run a script using Shell in the background?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Mar 11 11:49:11 EST 2004

On Thursday, March 11, 2004, at 07:33 AM, Bojsza wrote:

> Surely there is a way to have the Shell run in the background
> therefore allowing the user to do other things in the application?

There is a shell option.  (I forgot what it is for different shells;
I'm not awake yet.)  You might have to use a shell script.  You can
redirect to a file and look at the size of the file for progress.

I have tried this in the past for OS X and ran into trouble.  At the
time I was trying to read named pipes in Revolution and that may have
blocked things.

Dar Scott