Fix it before moving ahead

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 11 08:33:07 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:03:00 -0800, Ken Norris <pixelbird at interisland.net>
wrote:

> > However, I must note that Bugzilla offers each Revolution User the
> > option to identify the fixes & enhancements she/he feels should
> > receive first priority.
>------------
>Well, last time I was there it scared me to death seeing all those unfixed
>bugs :-/
>
>My point is that at this juncture, Rev already has more features than any
>other RAD tool out there. Consequently, IMNSHO, stability is a far, far more
>important issue than adding features.
>
>What good are more features if your user's application, or worse yet, their
>machines, crash because of a bug that should have been fixed by now?
>
>I really want to see a bug-free Rev, or as close as possible, before any
>more features are added. It shouldn't be a democratic issue...I think they
>should _all_ be fixed.

I don't normally quote the whole of another person's mail, but I agree so
strongly with this that I really want it broadcast. I also think that the
idea of voting for a bug to be fixed is deeply flawed if it doesn't take
into account the severity of the bug, which can vary from an unimportant
cosmetic problem in the IDE (the fixing of which might attract a lot of
votes) all the way to a complete showstopper for a developer who has the
right (within reason) to expect that the product will work as advertised
even if he/she is in a small minority of users of that feature. AFAIK the
RunRev team can and do work out what are the real showstoppers - and they
are, I hope, acting on this set of priorities as far as they can. If this
means pulling some new features from the next edition or RunRev, then so be it.

My 2 eurocents, as ever

Graham