AVI/WMV Playback Control?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Mar 8 15:30:00 EST 2004

Peter,

WMV doesn't have a typical notion of keyframes, that is one of the
reasons why you have so much trouble using it. In fact, the same is true
with many video editors when trying to edit a WMV clip. Which is why you
edit AVI's not WMVs.

Even MS's own MediaPlayer cannot randomly seek through a streaming WMV.

If you're looking for a digital format which plays back on both
platforms, consider DivX. It will playback in WindowsMedia player on
PC's and in Quicktime on Macs (assuming the correct codecs are
installed). While it's not too efficient at streaming, the
compression/quality tradeoffs are superb. An added benefit is that many
of the new DVD players and all of the new portable personal video
devices play DivX as well.

If I were creating a video project in RR, I would download the .avi
files in the background, and play them after they were successfully
downloaded. Note, using DivX, you can still play .avi files on a Mac.

best,
Chipp