Naive questions about contacting databases

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Mar 8 11:30:27 EST 2004

On Mar 8, 2004, at 8:20 AM, Mathewson wrote:

> 1. From RR how can I access a database and display the
> contents of its tables/fields in RR ?

You can use the Database Query Builer tool to help you create your
database connections and queries. It's pretty straitgh forward. Just
launch the tutorial from the built-in documentation.

> 2. From RR how can I access a remote data base and . . . ?

That's also answered in the tutorial. You can access remote mysql
databases for example...

> 3. How can I export processed data in a more useful format
> than a tab-delimited text document?

you can use a query to retrieve all data them process it yourself so
that it ends up the way you wish. Use standard text processing
functions to fiddle with it... what do you have in mind?

I make extensive use of DB in my data junior app (see
http://www.soapdog.org under projects), but not all my practices are
elegant. RevGurus here got much more wisdom than I.

Cheers
Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004