Help with Scripter's Scrapbook 3.1

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 8 06:57:52 EST 2004

I was very pleased to read about SS3.1 - I'd thought of using earlier
versions but had never got around to it. It looks like a great product, and
for me it will (I trust) solve a very particular problem I have which is
that I can't easily develop a new version of a stack or stacks by
cannibalising an old version because RR won't allow two stacks of the same
name to coexist in the IDE. Up to now I've got round this by laboriously
copying scripts of the old stacks to a text editor and keeping that open
while working on the new ones...

However I am sorry to act so dumb, but in the faint hope this may be useful
to revolutionaries other than myself, can I use the list to ask Hugh Senior
or Ken Ray for a very quick 'getting started' tutorial on the Scripter's
scrapbook? I couldn't find anything like that in the ReadMe or Help texts,
and my first hurdle was that the only type of document that I seem to be
allowed to import is a Scripter's Scrapbook file, whereas (of course) I
want to import scripts, stacks and text files that I've already collected.
Clearly this is possible, even so easy that it doesn't need explaining
except to the GUI-challenged, but there it is.

I also so far I haven't developed a mental model of what the scrapbook is -
a collection of cross-linked files, a database that points to files, files
converted to special format, files in their original form, etc?

I also don't yet understand the context in which I can use it with the
RunRev IDE - for instance, when I exit the IDE, I'm asked whether I want to
save the SS stacks - do I? Can I run the SS in the background while
developing, including destroying my developing mainstack and reloading it
etc, moving from browse tool to pointer and back and so forth?

The Help system seems to assume I've got all that firmly in my head and I
now want to do relatively sophisticated stuff like creating links. I'm too
ignorant as yet to benefit from that sort of advice.

Sorry again if this is totally obvious to everyone else.

Graham