Builing a complex text-editor - possible?

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Sun Mar 7 15:27:52 EST 2004

At 12:54 AM +0100 3/7/2004, Jan Sælid wrote:
>Is it possible to have different margins in different parts of the
>same field - like Word?
>If this is not the case. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to do this?

It's not (yet) possible - currently the margins and firstIndent
properties don't apply to lines in fields, only to the entire field.
I'm not sure it's practical to build a full word processor in Rev
right now, with variable margins for different paragraphs.

For *displaying* text with variable margins, I would take the
approach of creating a separate transparent field (with its own
margins and firstIndent setting) for each run of text, then grouping
the fields and giving the group a scrollbar. This makes the group
look like a single scrolling field, but each separate field in the
group can have its own margins, background color, and so on.

However, for editing this would be problematic. You could create the
fields on the fly to reflect the user's margin settings, but then
you'd have to handle such things as selecting multiple paragraphs
across field boundaries by script.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com