Standalone shell/console application

Kevin nnoydb at excite.com
Sat Mar 6 19:42:42 EST 2004

I am afraid my communication skills are not very good and my explaination maybe misleading.  I am not speaking of solely console/text/shell application or of CGI.  I am speaking of a single stand alone application preforming double duty as both a interactive/GUI application or a console/text/shell based application.  This is not unheard of a majority of *NIX applications behave in such a manner.  In fact I have written several of my own in my 15+ years as a developer.  These are quite simple to create and such a feature would simplify the amount of work for the 'RR' developers.  Instead of maintaing 2 engines for multiple platforms they would only maintain a single engine for each platform.  This does not address the benefit to you and I would reveive.  We could develop a single application that preformed double duty from a single code base!  My primary purpose for purchasing RR was the ability to write a application for mutiple platforms from a single source.  I have used Java for such projects in the past but the enormous/slow virtual machine coupled with the lack of a significant RAD enviroment slows development.

Kevin

-==-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-
Disclaimer:

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my
employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely
coincidental.
Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.

 The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold
them
is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of
the reader
 is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.
(A discussion of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism is beyond the
scope of this article.)