PDF

Ray G. Miller rgmiller at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 4 15:30:35 EST 2004

>From: Alejandro Tejada <capellan2000 at yahoo.com>
>
>on Thu, 04 Mar 2004
>Ken Norris wrote:
>

>>Could not open "San Juan road map.pdf" because this
>>is not an Adobe
>>PhotoShop PDF image.
>>The people I'm doing work for don't have OSX either
>>(Windows machines or OS9
>>Macs).
>>

>Notice Ken, a file of this size (36 * 48 inches),
>will create a huge bitmap, even at 72 dpi.
>
>Surely, you will prefer to work with tiles of
>this map, not with an unique image.

If you're going to use this mongoMap on a Mac, be aware that there is a
4000 pixel limitation. Altho Photoshop and others can display very large
images, MC/Rev for the Mac cannot. Tiles would be your best bet. I had a
similar problem last May. Scott wrote:

We're stumped.  Works fine on Win32 and on UNIX systems, including the
Darwin engine.  But it fails in both the PPC and Mach-O (OS X)
engines.  It must be a problem in the JPEG library we're using, which
means it's not going to be practical for us to fix it.  But I'll put
upgrading that library on the to-do list for 2.5.1 and will put
checking this image on the QA list for that release.  Mean time, I
don't have much in the way of suggestions for getting these things to
display.  Have you tried recompressing them with some other tool, or
maybe just scaling them down?  At 4795 pixels, they're pretty wide...
  Regards,
    Scott

Ray G. Miller
Turtlelips Productions