final php versions of fwPack and fwUnpack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 3 22:18:00 EST 2004

Mark Brownell wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 2, 2004, at 09:07  AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> As I mentioned in the article, I'm pretty ignorant on encryption, esp.
>> compared to seasoned cryptohobbyists like Mark Brownell.  So here's a
>> question I can't answer about my own code:
>>
>> If one were to try to characterize the relative strength of the "MDX"
>> algorithm used in fwPack/fwUnpack, what phrase would be appropriate?
>
> This is just too juicy to pass up. How about "Don't forget to drink your
> chocolate flavored Ovaltene."

LOL! Maybe I'm more of an expert than I thought -- that's how I've been
describing it. :)

>> For example, we hear about 128-bit encryption, but I couldn't find a
>> primer dumbed-down enough to explain what that means in lay terms.
>
> I need to see what controls there are for the "MDX" algorithm's
> passwords length before I can determine the bit level.

Doesn't enforcing password length get into the public key/private key setup?

Is there a way to provide stronger encryption with the simplicity of a
single password?

Your description on cypher block chaining was excellent -- thank you.

> So one way to stop the practicality of brute force attacks is to
> deliberately put a one second delay on processing the algorithm. If your
> application or CGI has a password input point then this one second delay
> will make a brute force attack difficult.
>
> 100,000,000 brute force attempts with a one second delay would take more
> than three to four years on a single computer. It would take 1000
> computers hitting your CGI continuously to get past half of the
> possibilities in a single day or two. I doubt if that is even possible.

Comforting.  Last year I started adding one-second delays to most of my
login stuff.

Thank you for the excellent post.  I learned more reading your one-pager
than in an hour of prowling the 'Net.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation