Again with the start using.

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Mar 3 21:10:31 EST 2004

On Wednesday, March 3, 2004, at 12:44 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> But of course, the difficulty is that to rely on messages being passed
> requires that everyone play ball; great for your own team but
> impossible to depend on for libraries designed for use in other
> people's environments.  A lot of the code bases I work on today were
> inherited, mostly ports from other systems, so there are few
> assurances of stylistic consistency.

Well, I can say this in my stack doc/note:  "Here is how my stack
works.  There are some options depending on your scripting style.  If
your style does not fit any of those, adapt."

What I'd like to do is select a default so it works just by somebody
dropping it into an app.  I'd like to have options to accommodate those
who don't see the world the way I do.

In all that it should be easy and work right off.  If folks have
different approaches to handling, say, preOpenCard, then that gets
hard.  If some folks hide preOpenCard from the libraries, then some
other method would be needed.

I had made the silly assumption that, of course, everybody passes
preOpenCard.

I now have to think on how to make sure all works whether it is passed
or not.

Dar Scott