Console/Shell Programs Detecting GUI

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Wed Mar 3 13:57:37 EST 2004

What platforms are you looking for this on? I seem to remember that
some of the UNIX command-line engines (i.e. Darwin, Linux) had a
command-line switch to enable or disable XWindows, but I could be wrong.

It may be hard to build a standalone that behaves like this, as opposed
to a stack that checks environment() and is run with different engines.
Note that command-line engines send a "startup" message but no
"openStack"...

HTH,
Brian