Limitations of RR for drawing apps?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 3 12:12:39 EST 2004

Jim Carwardine wrote:

> on 3/1/04 6:32 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Some types of drawing apps will work
>> great, but if you need scrolling documents and manipulatable
 >> lines and polygons it's tricky.
>>
>> See Bugzilla for details: #622, 623, and 624.
>
 > As an offshoot discussion of this... Does anyone remember MacProject?
 > I still use it.  It's a wonderful tool for me.  I'd like to integrate
 > something similar into my project.  Has anyone got any ideas about the
 > construction of this in Rev?  Seems to me that the graphic interface
 > has a challenge because a line has no properties - like an id, so
 > attaching it to the centre of a box (task, which could be a field or
 > a button) would be a problem.  If that one was solved, then using a
 > large array plus a database would take care of the logical
 > part...right?   Jim

On the contrary, polygons have all the standard properties you would
expect, including a points property which can be set to change the shape
  programmatically.

The limitations cited in those Bugzilla entries focus exclusively on
behaviors in the free-form interactions possible with the pointer tool.
  For a project management app the primary diagram is usually a Gantt
chart, for which using the pointer tool would be more free form than
likely desirable.

I can think of no reason such specialized types of diagrams and charts
as Gantt couldn't be made beautifully in Rev just as it is today.

And you could tie it in with a database, which would be especially
useful for a networked muti-user version.  But if you just want a
single-user version, the quantity of data is likely small enough (unless
to intend to run a national renewable energy program from it, or
something else on that scale) that you could store your data in user
properties quite happily.

See
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2002-July/006149.html>
for some ideas on using a stackfile for structured data storage.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation