From a Rookie: Scope and Visibility Among Stacks/Scripts

Springer, Paul paul.springer at sensis.com
Tue Mar 2 09:04:33 EST 2004

I am just beginning to use RR for a rapid development of a demo. It seems
like the perfect tool, and I am very impressed. Nevertheless I am struggling
with a few things and the on-line documentation, while loaded with good
information, is a little awkward until you learn the terms for whatever it
is you are looking for. I don't have much GUI building experience and my
strongest language is Ada. (Yes, I have always worked for defense
contractors!) BTW, in reading some of your threads I see concerns about
fostering acceptability of what you (and I) think is a great tool - RR.
Believe me, Ada advocates have been through (and are still going through)
the same issues. I wish us both luck!

Anyway, the thing I am struggling with the most right now is visibility and
scope. In particular, I am trying to move the value from a field on a
substack into a field on the parent stack, but the script for the substack
cannot "see" the field on the parent stack. I expect that when I understand
this topic, a lot of things will become clearer.

Sorry to post such a simple question; I am sure there is a pertinent section
of documentation, but I have not identified it yet. Can someone help, either
with a simple answer or a pointer to the right place to look?

Thanks,
-Paul