fwPack/fwUnpack in php?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 1 14:48:52 EST 2004

Frank Leahy wrote:

>>> I'm successfully using fwPack and fwUnpack to store passwords in a
>>> preferences file -- thank you Richard!
>>>
>>> Has anyone ported this code to php by chance?  I was about to do it, but
>>> figured if it had already been done I'd save a 1/2 a day.
>>
>> The "MDX" algorithm used in fwPack/fwUnpack is not very secure compared
>> to powerhouses like Blowfish.  I don't work with PHP often, but I
>> suspect there are hooks to stronger methods available.
>>

> We're not talking about spy stuff here, I'm just trying to encrypt some
> ftp passwords and fwPack is more than good enough.  I need something
> cross-platform because I encode the passwords using RunRev, then decode
> the encrypted passwords using php on my server.

You're not hiding the whereabouts of Saddam's WMDs with fwPack? :)

Yeah, I've been living in the States too long, always pondering
litigious liability issues.  My favorite is the standard EULA item "This
software does not claim to be useful for any particular purpose...."

Have you considered using a Rev CGI for that?  Once you set it up
there's all sorts of handy handlers you can drop into your CGI lib....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation