A clue for using Valentina by XCMD

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jun 21 15:57:17 EDT 2004

>Secondly, one needs to know that Valentina doesn't seem to do much in the
>way of error checking; if you make mistakes, you are liable to be punished
>by Rev immediately crashing.  So save early and often.  For example,
>although you can get the version without initialising Valentina, attempting
>to create a database before initialising will result in immediate crash.

Yes, Valentina is optimized for max performance at run time, so there
is some crashing when starting to develop. You can set the debugging
level before calling init (I think it is the first or second function
described in the vxcmd manual). This function allows you to turn on
additional error checking in kernel during development (at the
expense of performance), although it won't necessarily stop crashing
if things are called out of order. The errors are passed back as the
result in format "error nnn" but a few functions return true/false so
watch out.

Robert Brenstein