Revolution gui wrapper

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Mon Jun 21 13:01:58 EDT 2004

Alejandro

DOS GUI wrappers are easy and very useful. I manage a whole NT domain using
the NT Resource kit and metacard with these. It sure avoid a lot of dos
typing...

Open a DOS box, type your command with '/?' to display the help switches.

Then for any interesting switch, you build a parameter field or menu.
The execute button will assemble the command to type with the parameters
do a script like

on mouseup
  get fld "server"
  if "\\" is not in char 1 to 2 of server then put "\\" before server
  get shell("rmtshare" && servername & "\" & fld "sharename")

  -- clean and parse the output after...

Firsteable, you have to know that the shell function will block MC or RR
until the result is returned (if it comes back...) - a solution to this
problem is to use (if available) the "start" command line (try start /? for
the many options with this cmd) and you can always dump the output using the
piping command character at the end of the command line. ">" or ">>" (one >
to replace the output, 2 to append).
for example
  dir c: > myoutput.txt

Second, you have to be careful about different commands running on different
system (W98, nt4, 2000, xp, 2003 and their corresponding reskits) as they
have different inputs and outputs!

I use many GUI kits combining different of these IO's to do many many things
like user, group, share management much better than MS's own administrative
tools...

So if you are interested in more let me know.

cheers
Xavier