use-revolution Digest, Vol 9, Issue 45

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jun 20 21:23:56 EDT 2004

>>MetaCard always claimed (and it is still on their web site):
>>"Object architecture, scripting language, and external procedure
>>call interface are source compatible with Apple Corporation's
>>HyperCard." The external in question works under HyperCard, which
>>indeed puts shadow of doubt on Rev's engine.
>
>The above statement is probably a bit of a stretch. Metacard has
>_never_ supported the full Hypercard interface, but that's probably
>not even relevant here are there's no way Rinaldi's GetFInfo is
>using any of the weird windowing stuff. Plus none of this will work
>under OS X.
>
>Have you tried downloading an older version of Metacard, something
>released pre-OSX? It's possible that those work better with old
>XCMDs...
>
>- Brian

Brian, you are right that for OSX a macho version of the external
will be needed. However, I am trying under OS9 using Classic builds.
Other externals from Rinaldi, like GetDir or GetDInfo, behave fine.

I have just retested:

2.6 -- crash
2.5 -- crash
2.4.1 (pre-macho version) -- crash
2.3.2 (that's old) -- no crash but I get error "Handler: Running low
on memory, script aborted" regardless how much memory I allocate.

HyperCard 2.4.1 -- still no problems.

When I say crash, it is a total freeze. Even Macsbug won't show.

Robert