FTP queries

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Jun 20 19:13:44 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Pursuing my remote notification requirements, I am creating an HTML
file which gets re-generated and uploaded to the server every few
minutes. However FTP uploads don't always work, but I don't want to be
left with a situation where I upload half a file, leaving nothing that
is readable by a web browser.

A good solution would seem to be to upload the file using a temporary
file name, check that the file length is the same as expected, then
re-name the temporary file to the display file name. Is this a good way
to go - perhaps people with more experience at FTP could suggest
something better?

If this is a good plan, how do I do the renaming? Will I have to delete
the original file first, or will the renaming automatically replace it?

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au
http://www.troz.net/Rev/