use-revolution Digest, Vol 9, Issue 45

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 20 13:58:57 EDT 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:
>> The best Transcript offers at the moment is "the detailed files",
>> which includes at least some info, including data fork size, res fork
>> size, creation date, modification date, permissions, creator code, and
>> filetype code.
>>
>> If you need more than that hopefully Mr. Rinaldi can be pursuaded to
>> update GetFInfo for use in Rev.  I read Bugzilla #855, and while I can
>> understand your frustration I can also understand the necessity for
>> RunRev to not make a policy of supporting third-party externals. The
>> best person who can help with that would be Mr. Rinaldi himself.
> If you read Bugzilla, you should have noted that Mr. Rinaldi wrote he
> had checked and not seen anything that could be wrong with the external
> and suspected an issue with the engine, hence I entered this into
> Bugzilla. Who am I argue with Mr Rinaldi, probably the most noted
> external writer.

You're absolutely right -- my apologies.  Admittedly, I skimmed that
report (had my head deep in debugging when I read Bugzilla #855 the
first time).

If Rinaldi's GetFInfo external doesn't work that means either Rinaldi's
code has an issue, the RunRev externals code has an issue, or both.

I don't know the extent to which RunRev claims the engine is compliant
with the HyperCard 1.x externals spec, but if they claim compliance and
the external conforms to that spec it would be in the interest of both
RunRev and Rinaldi to resolve the issue.  Once it's resolved we'd all
get a nifty external to use as well. :)

The current status of Bugzilla #855 is "UNCONFIRMED", which would seem
to accurately reflect where things are.

Let's hope they address that one soon.  If there's an issue with the
externals API it may likely affect other externals as well.

> Note also that later, I have converted this from bug report to
> enhancement request. The detailed files info does not contain any of the
> info I mentioned. Plus, "the detailed files" is read only, whereas all
> those items must be read/write.

Agreed, that would be nice.  I just added my 5 votes for it. :)
Far better to have that functionality available for all platforms (at
least as much as is relevant outside of Mac Classic).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation