Trying to use the metaphor

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jun 18 16:15:32 EDT 2004

On 6/18/04 1:27 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> I can't tell you how
> many times I've types "myVar =" to start setting the value of a
> variable. This is not the kind of thing even someone _completely_ new to
> programming would do, simply because they would only know the syntax as
> defined by Rev. Similarly for those coming from other "Card script"
> languages.

Actually, coming from HC, it was just about as frustrating for me as it
has been for you. The two environments are similar enough that I thought
I ought to know how to do things, but different enough that I ended up
with the same frustrations you are having now. Richard Gaskin and I have
both walked a number of x-talkers through the Rev learning curve and it
always seems to go the same way -- Richard has a good list of responses
that I can't recall exactly but which is close enough to the norm to
make me laugh out loud each time I read it. It starts off with something
like "I hate this damn program" and ends up with "How did I ever live
without this?" Maybe he'll repost -- and you will see that you are
definitely not alone. ;)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com