Remote alerts

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Jun 15 03:00:52 EDT 2004

I have an application that monitors multiple temperature sensors,
setting off alarms if any of them go outside their required parameters.
This is fine locally as I can have an audible and visual alarm, but now
I'm working on what happens when something goes wrong in the middle of
the night!

There are various methods, both active and passive, that have occurred
to me, but I was hoping that some of you could come up with more ideas
or methods.

Passive: web site, email (no problems here, just they reply on people
checking)
Active: SMS, telephone call, some other brilliant idea?

Here is where my problems really begin. I haven't an idea how to do SMS
(text messages) and while I know how to make a modem ring a phone
number, how do I respond when the phone is answered? Is it possible to
play a recorded sound, or use the speech commands to speak down the
phone line?

If it makes any difference, this will be running only on Macs with OS X.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au
http://www.troz.net/Rev/