Don't know how to deal with error messages when converting from HyperCard

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Mon Jun 14 14:38:05 EDT 2004

At 11:01 AM -0700 6/14/2004, Dale Glaser wrote:
>There are several expressions I use in my Hypercard stacks that
>cause errors when I open my stacks in Revolution:
>
>set the textStyle of line x of cd fld "topicList" to group

Transcript can be less forgiving about unquoted literals that
HyperTalk. In this context, you need to quote the textStyle:
   set the textStyle of line x of cd fld "topicList" to "group"

>if the marked of cd y is true then
>if the marked of cd y is true then add 1 to test

Revolution uses the "mark" property instead, so changing these to
   if the mark of cd y is true then
will correct the problem.

>put empty into the msg

The synonyms for the message box aren't as plentiful in Rev as in HC.
Taking away the word "the" will work, though:
   put empty into msg
or just
   put empty

>But the explanations I have read about rev groups vs. HC backgrounds
>don't help mey understand what I should DO with my background
>objects vs. card objects to make them work properly in Revolution.

If you're converting a stack, you shouldn't need to do anything - the
backgrounds of the HyperCard stack will be automatically converted to
groups. Are there specific problems you're experiencing...?
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com