MD5 output (was Encryption)

Geoff Caplan geoff at advantae.com
Sat Jun 12 04:21:32 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

I have been attempting to create a checksum digest in Rev for posting
to a PHP server and checking server-side. The problem I ran into was
the output from MD5 on Rev is binary, while on PHP it is an ASCII
string. So of course they don't match.

Does anyone understand what's going on here - I thought MD5 was a
standard? Is there any way to translate from the binary to the ASCII
format?

I must say that the PHP ASCII format is pretty useful. You can POST it
over the net without base64 encoding, and use it directly to make
unique filenames etc etc.