OT - OSX eye candy for Windows?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 11 01:00:16 EDT 2004

Barry Levine wrote:

> One of my professors asked if there was a way he could make a Windows
> app look like an OSX app. He was referring to the shape and size of the
> app's title bar, the red/yellow/green widgets, and the shape and "glow"
> of on-screen buttons. He'd even like "metal" if that can be done.
>
> He's not looking for the hacks that XP users have implemented to make
> their PC look like OSX; rather, he'd like the app to give the OSX look
> even if the user is running it on W2K or an un-hacked XP.
>
> Can this be done with Rev? Are there third-party items that could be
> glommed into a Rev (or VB) project to accomplish this?
>
> If I can help him, it might mean a higher grade....   ;-)

You could emulate much of it with windowShapes, images, and button
icons, but IMNSHO doing so should result in a lower grade (or in the
case of the professor, maybe a loss of tenure <g>).

The look-and-feel of a given OS may not be preferred by those who use
other systems, but for those who will actually be using the software
consistency with the look and feel of everything else they use on that
system can make a big difference in productivity.

There may be a good reason for doing this as a special case, and please
take the pedantic response here in the lighthearted manner it's
intended.  But the underlying message is meant seriously:

Unless there's a strong reason to support such a radical departure from
the Win HIG it may be a far greater service to the end-user to allow Rev
to do the great job it does using native appearances for each platform.

When in doubt, consider the corollary:  How productive would Mac people
be with software using the XP look and feel but running on OS X? :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation