error message anomalies, anyone?

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Tue Jun 8 17:02:44 EDT 2004

After hardly using Rev in the past year, I spent the last four weeks or so
coding quite a few applications.  I started off using 2.1.1 (the latest
version for which I have a license), but found error messages which
a) were unrelated to the eventual cause of the error, or
b) were resolved by simply adding a space (in an innocuous place) inside
the script and applying the new script, or
c) would crash the IDE before I even got a chance to see what the error
message said.

This was so unworkable (particularly the last issue)  that I down-graded
to 2.1.  Whilst this version was better than 2.1.1, I still found that all
three of these wasteful situations occurred.  So I downgraded to 2.0.1,
and this is a far more usable version with regard to these problems.  In
case it should be of any significance, I am using Windows XP.  Until the
past month I had been using 2.0.1 since it was relesed, and did not
experience these problems.

Since no-one else seemed to be having these problems, and I found a way of
working round them, I didn't bother to raise it on this list  (I figured
that surely there are everyday Rev users who would be flagging these
things in bugzilla if they were generally occuring).

Also, I was often demonstrating Rev whilst I was coding these
applications.  People were not very impressed with Rev because of the
instability of the IDE.  My claims about the efficiencies of the language
and the framework sounded pretty hollow when Rev would crash every hour or
so and I would have lost my work and not even know what the cause of the
crash was.  After losing so much work in the past few weeks, I have now
got into the habit of saving my stacks after every single change to a
script.

I think that Runrev need to focus on making the core of the IDE stable.
>From my perspective it has become almost unusable following the release of
version 2.0.1.  I don't remember Rev being so buggy at 1.1.1.

I'm not sure what I want to hear - that I am the only one who has
experienced this radical bugginess, or that it is so widely experienced
that something will be done about it!

Regards,
Bernard Devlin