Unable to delete file from user space

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Jul 30 19:16:21 EDT 2004

On Jul 30, 2004, at 4:12 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>> If you don't want to quit in the development environment just use
>> this line:
>>
>> if environment() <> "development" then quit
>
> It's not a question of avoiding it in the stack - it's whether or not
> an IDE should allow itself to be killed off by the application it is
> running/debugging. In the "normal" programming world, the debugger (or
> IDE) is "in charge of" and "controlling" the application it is
> running, and wouldn't allow the application to cause the IDE to exit.
> (Indeed, trapping premature exit of the application is one of the
> primary tasks of a debugger :-)
>
> In the more "integrated" style of Rev (and perhaps Director, but I
> have no experience of it), it may seem reasonable to allow the app to
> have this level of control over the IDE - though I can't get myself
> adjusted to the idea that a programming choice within an app should
> kill the IDE.
>
> I'm 90% convinced that since all the experienced Rev'ers are saying
> this is OK, I should just accept it (and shut up :-)
>
> But I'm 10% convinced that there is a "blinkered vision" effect for
> experienced users looking at Rev behaviour, and that that effect
> prevents long-time Rev'ers from seeing just how this looks to someone
> using Player or Rev-IDE for the first time (and since there are far
> more people in the latter category than the first, I should keep go
> ahead with pushing the argument that this is a bug).
>
> I'm probably "pushing a rope uphill", so I'll go with the 90%

Alex,

I realize why this appears weird to you and what you are suggesting.  I
remember being "surprised" when my authoring application suddenly quit
when I first started using programs like Director and Revolution.  Yes
it is different from other environments and maybe it should be changed
(I'm not really concerned one way or the other).  I was just pointing
out that it is easy to avoid in case anyone on the list didn't know
about it.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia