Rev Online

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 17:29:27 EDT 2004

>>   So my opinion is that the web should have been based on
>> HyperCard-like (Rev-like) platform, NOT HTML,  in the very first place.
>
>Isn't this pretty much what AOL and CompuServe were like?  I never got a
>chance to use the old versions, but I do remember the screenshots and they
>always reminded me of Stacks.
>

>Derek Bump
>Dreamscape Software

Compuserve Thingummy erm Navigator or whatever it was did have an interface
a bit like that at one stage I think. But it depends what you mean by 'old
versions'. When I joined, Compuserve sent me a manual full of text commands
you could type into a terminal. It was a BBS basically, but it was exciting
because it supported more than one brand of computer and you could use it
from a large number of locations.

Come to think of it that's better than today's typical UK broadband
connections, which are usually strapped to a particular location, and
commonly sold by so-called "ISPs" who decline to support mac, linux and
computers more than 4 years old, never mind anything more exotic.

Martin Baxter