Public ip address

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jul 24 19:49:00 EDT 2004

At 00:41 25/07/2004 +0100, Alex Tweedly wrote:

>I can only test it on Windows, but
>    put hostNameToAddress("")
>seems to do the right thing for me.

Oops - ignore that.

Just realized which machine I'm typing on - and it only has a single
network interface. I'm not sure what this would do if I'd been on the
machine with two IP addresses - which is why Dar's method is the safer way.
It should always give (one of) the local address(es) attached to the
internet, if you are attached. Note this is not the same as
www.whatismyip.com - it would give you the external IP of any NAT box on
the path to the internet, not the local address.

-- Alex.