2.5 whats new... File format

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jul 24 12:21:08 EDT 2004

Malte Brill wrote:

> I just took the time to re-read the what´s new file (there are other
> interesting topics discussed, also).
>
> "Note that the file format will change later during the beta cycle for 2.5"
>
> Does that mean that you can´t open stacks made with 2.5 final with an
> earlier version of rev? I guess 2.5 final will be backwards compatible,will
> it?
>
> But what if you want to code stacks for all versions of rev using 2.5? Will
> you need to use an older version of rev for doing this?

THIS IS THE SORT OF RARE SITUATION THAT SUGGESTS POSTING IN ALL-CAPS.
IF A RELEASE CHANGES THE FILE FORMAT IN A WAY THAT PREVENTS BACKWARD
COMPATIBILITY IT NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY BROUGHT TO EVERYONE'S ATTENTION IN
THE POST WITH THE URLS TO DOWNLOAD IT.

Of course, if it retains backward compatibility it barely matters.

So which will be the case?  And when will it change?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation