Question about timeout on Rev DB funcs...

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Jul 23 16:05:42 EDT 2004

Le 23 juil. 04, ˆ 19:30, Andre Garzia a Žcrit :

> On Jul 23, 2004, at 2:23 PM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
>
>> If they are running a firewall of some sort, is the port open?
>
> Frank,
>
> the port is open. They are firewalled but I manage to connect to an
> HTTPd daemon running at 3014 why shouldn't I be able to connect to
> MySQL daemon at the same port?

If i don't understand wrong what you are thinking about, take care,
Andre, about the fact that each port is binded to the first app witch
opened a socket to it (aka, the port will be unavailable for the second
app as long as any opened sockets to the first one have not been
closed.

> Do firewalls are good enought to distinguish between http traffic and
> mysql traffic?

The main job of the firewall is to block the incoming requests to
unauthorised ports.

>  I thought in the end it was all packet data and no one could make any
> sense out of it... :D
>
> Before trying MySQL Daemon, I tried launching a webserver set to the
> default MySQL port just to see if they could connect, and yes, they
> could. Then I just keept working and now they can't connect to the
> Daemon... I think that or the firewall policies changed in the
> meantime or that the connection is timing out for their connection
> hellish slow. Can the MySQL connection with Rev fail due to timeout?

Probably not but, i'm not a MySQL user...

Best, Pierre

> Cheers
> andre
>
> --