Acrobat files?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Jul 22 16:48:00 EDT 2004

> In other words - there is no good way to use PDF files right now.  ;-)

Yep.

> I agree. For the Director xtra, they used low-level Acrobat libraries,
> licensed from Adobe, I believe. The end result is extremely powerful.
> You can make your own version of Acrobat reader within Director, with
> search, fillable forms, printing, cross-document linking and PDF
> security functions all available. This is the sort of capability which
> would be truly awesome in Rev, which is arguably better suited to
> "document style" applications, as well as business apps.
>
> In one of my current projects, I dynamically index several hundred
> complex PDF files into a high speed embedded database, and do
> full-context search among all of them, display, print, etc. Not to
> mention that I build an animated hierarchal menu for them on-the-fly,
> and have sliding panels which reveal keyword, author, etc.

Huh. Perhaps the company that wrote the Director xtra would consider
farming out a copy to a Rev developer if they felt they could sell a
few copies over on this side. Sounds about right though- Adobe in my
experience is about as anti-standard, anti-open as Macromedia and their
Flash format =). Both publish "open standards" but make it all but
impossible to do anything with them if you don't license exorbitantly
expensive libraries.

- Brian