urgent QTversion question...

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 22 11:42:01 EDT 2004

At 16:33 22/07/2004 +0200, Klaus Major wrote:

>Like QT 2.1.2, which is still present on many win98 machines, and you need
>at least
>version 4.x to be able to play e.g MP3 files and at least v. 5 or above to
>play MPG videos
>with QT...
>
>But on windowze apps, i want to check the qtversion BEFORE i decide to use
>or not use QT...
>
>See one of my last mails concerning media files that are playable inside of
>player objects without QT...
>
>So i want to check if there is an "up to date" version of QT on the target
>PC before i decide
>to "set the dontuseqt" to whatever...
>
>But with the current behaviour this is simply not possible, since once QT
>is loaded, you
>canot get rid of it as long as your rev-app is running...
>
>So this is a bit like a paradoxon:
>I can check, but then the result is useless, since i cannot change
>anything if it is
>not what i need...
>
>Know what i mean?
>
>Therefore my question: Is there a registry entry that we can check instead?

Note - I am totally naive about Windows registry, and how you access it,
but.... I see an entry for

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Apple Computer, Inc. / ActiveX / QTVersion

that looks a possible candidate. I can't see anything else in the QT
hierarchy that looks like a version number.  (And in fact the QT player on
Windows is perhaps the only program I've seen that doesn't give version
info in its "Help / About ..." menu screen).

Does seem like there should be a more direct way ...

-- Alex.