Current file position ?

Cubist at aol.com Cubist at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 14:14:26 EDT 2004

sez janschenkel at yahoo.com:
>--- Cubist at aol.com wrote:
>> sez janschenkel at yahoo.com:

>> current
>> at
>> starting
>> position.
>> >
>> >I'm afraid you can't do that...
>>    More precisely, Rev doesn't keep track of such
>> things *for* you. So if you
>> want to do it, you have to do it yourself, "by
>> hand". Use a separate
>> variable, or custom property, or whatever...
>Of course we can track it ourselves, but I think it
>makes more sense that we can ask the engine where
>we're at in the file. Example :
>--
>on ReadTheFile pFilePath
>  open file pFilePath
>  read from file pFilePath for 1 line
>  put the currentPosition of file pFilePath
>  close file pFilePath
>end ReadTheFile
>--
>Indeed, I can just check (the length of it) and add it
>to my counter, but it's just more convenient...
   Obviously it *would* be more convenient to just let the engine handle the
messy details; I don't dispute that in the least. In fact, I think I agree
with you, and Alex, that such a thing would be good. All I'm sayin' is, if you
(or anyone else) need this feature *right now* (as opposed to whenever RunRev's
demon programmers get around to adding this feature to the engine), it should
be possible for you to implement it yourself in one form or another.

>just like I'd love to see an addition to 'repeat for ...
>  end repeat
   Me, too. But seeing as how the currently-necessary workaround isn't *that*
grotesquely inconvenient, I am unsure that it's worth the bother of tryna
persuade RunRev's demon programmers to fix it...