help with speedy graphics

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jul 14 19:36:30 EDT 2004

At 13:19 14/07/2004 -0700, Jan Schenkel wrote:

>--- Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:
> > Someone pointed out earlier that these polygon
> > schemes limit me to a single
> > colour. That is indeed the very opposite of what I
> > need - the visualization
> > I want is done by colours. However, I'll have
> > typically a small number
> > (~4), and rarely more than 10-15 different colours.
> > So it won't be as fast
> > as a single polygon - but it should be within the
> > acceptable range.
> >
> > I'll do a proper write-up of the schemes and times
> > tomorrow (it's almost
> > 4am here :-) for the sake of the archives.
> >
> > Thanks again for all the help.
> > -- Alex.
>
>Hi Alex,
>
>As you have only a limited set of numbers, would it
>work if you create one polygon per colour and set the
>points ? This would cut the number of graphics down to
>the number of colours.

Yes, thanks Jan. That's more or less what I had in mind when I mentioned
the relatively small number of colours needed. There will be a trade-off
between number of graphics involved versus the size of each (not in pure
drawing time - those seem to be very fast however big I make the graphic,
but in re-building them as changes happen).

I'm trying to put together a semi-coherent description of what I've done,
and what kind of times I get for different cases, to explore that
trade-off, and hopefully to help anyone else who tries to use this
fast-drawing technique. I've got the simple cases done (one polygon with
many, many vertices draws real quick - but can take a bit longer to build),
but still exploring the options for building (and modifying on the fly
rather than rebuilding) multiple polygons.

>However, if the layering of colours is important,
>this idea won't work.

I think I'll finish up using something more complex - a graphic per colour
per subset of the data - but I'm a long way from putting enough of the app
together to really know about that yet. Still at the "learning basic
techniques in Revolution" stage.

btw - I spent a long time today trying to change the colour I was drawing
in without success; finally got it - add "markercolor" to the list of Rev
keywords I've learnt.

Thanks
-- Alex.