Curl, browser, and Revolution

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Tue Jul 13 21:07:45 EDT 2004

I wrote earlier today about a problem I was having getting Revolution to
communicate with a particular brand of fiber (FTTP) router.

The good news is that I have successfully gotten Revolution to configure a
number of Linksys, Westell, D-Link routers.

The bad news is that I've determined that some firmware updates in some of
the newer Westell 2200 routers and a newer D-link router don't seem to like
being accessed via Revolution's get URL command.

The good news is that it's not apparently just a Revolution problem.   I
can't get the unix CURL command to pull data out of them either, nor Applescript.
 I get this error:   "Error (56):   chunky parser error"

The bad news is that I CAN get Macromedia Director, any web-browser, and wget
to pull data out of the router.   So the big question then is, what are these
programs doing behind the scenes that Rev, Applescript, and curl aren't doing
in Mac OS X (10.3.4)

And, if curl doesn't work, is there another unix call I can try that could
also pull in data from a router (it's just passing data through port 80 like any
web-server)

I'm wondering if perhaps it's a timeout issue.   However, doing a search in
Google for "curl chunky parser error" tells me that some servers aren't passing
hex character "chunks" the way that curl is expecting it.   Drats!   Now I'm
way over my head.

So, it's sounding like these router companies are upgrading their firmware
that results in Rev, unix "curl", and Applescript to not be able to pull html
out of them.   (Yet browsers still can), so that's where I'm stuck.   If anyone
can offer any solutions or advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

- Rob