help with speedy graphics

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 13 20:39:41 EDT 2004

At 16:47 13/07/2004 -0700, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>Alex Tweedly wrote:
>>The script (see below) uses (tries to use) templateGraphic to set the
>>size and colour, but this doesn't seem to have any effect.  It also uses
>>lockscreen - but I see each rectangle being drawn one-by-one - I had
>>expected that with lockscreen set, I would see nothing until all the
>>rectangles were drawn and lockscreen was set false again.
>
>It may be the IDE getting in the way, adjusting those properties on
>newGraphic.  Adding "lock messages" before the loop seems to take care of it.
>As for the lockscreen issue, I believe that's a known bug in the IDE; you
>should not see that in a standalone or if the IDE is suspended.

Cool - thanks.
Adding the lock messages made this script OK - all the rectangles appear at
the same time; but the clean-up script that deletes all these graphics when
I'm done with them is problematic, even with lock screen and lock messages.
Suspending the dev tools makes it faster - but it still does the rectangles
one at a time.

But even with this improvement, it's un-usably slow.

I'll go play with painted graphics and see what they do ... I'd be grateful
for any pointers to sample scripts that use painted graphics (or other
graphic-intensive examples)

-- Alex.