yes, i've got clues (was Re: Shell $PATH problems)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Jul 11 21:53:06 EDT 2004

On Jul 11, 2004, at 10:39 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> No solutions here, only another factor to toss into the pot :-)
> Revolution allows you to retrieve certain environment variables. If
> you open the Variable Watcher, at the top you will see the listed,
> beginning with $.
> However, the same discrepancy occurs with the $PATH variable:
> in Terminal: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
> in Rev's VW: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/sarah

Sarah,

could this be because Terminal might be fiddling with $PATH when it
starts. Like the Terminal is a sandboxed app, it runs in it own space,
it launches .profile and maybe others initialization scripts when it
starts. $PATH is a variable that is set when the system starts and
might be affect by gazilions of scripts everywhere in Unix-space, I
never trust it to be pointing where I want it to point, that why I like
using absolute paths and not trusting $PATH to contain what I want.

I just noticed that in my home folder of my MacOS X theres a invisible
.cshrc (thats invoked when terminal starts) that invokes another fella
called /sw/bin/init.csh which has the following piece of text

# define append_path and prepend_path to add directory paths, e.g.
PATH, MANPATH

so, this script is written in csh code, thus, unreadable by me, but it
does some juggling with arguments and makes many changes to my $PATH
and $MANPATH vars...

I guess if you all look into your home folders you'll find similar
hidden script files. And that explain why terminal $PATH is different
from Rev $PATH...

Cheers
andre

--