Arrays in Rev (long)

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sun Jul 11 21:27:07 EDT 2004

On Jul 11, 2004, at 7:12 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> Oh.  There is one very positive thing.  The best I can tell, you can
> put any string into an array element, including binary (arbitrary
> byte) values such as images.  (The best I can tell, only keys cannot
> take arbitrary binary data.)

I wrote a MUCH longer reply to this thread, but as I was nearing the
end of it, I realized the bigger issue, so hopefully this message will
be somewhat shorter.  ;-)

It occurs to me that coming from another language and authoring
environment, I am personally accustomed to storing my data in lists.
Large, complex, yet easily navigable nested lists. This nature of data
storage does not seem well-suited to Rev, no matter how well mimicked
some (like Mark) have managed to make it. It is not as easily created,
worked with, or maintained. There are no native tools for viewing the
data, and a very limited command set for manipulating the data. I'm
wondering if I'm swimming upstream rather than with the current, and
letting the tools do some of the work for me.

I'm wondering, is there a distinct lack of powerful multi-dimensional
arrays because in general, they aren't needed as "that just isn't the
way its done in Rev."

So the question is broader, and it may take yet more unlearning on my
part.

What is the recommended way, in Rev, to store large amounts of session
temporary, relational data which includes both text and non-text
(binary) information? In terms of speed of access, ease of access, ease
of maintenance, etc.

In my previous world, it was nested lists... and here in RevLand?
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.